Friday, March 9, 2012

The original Cooter's Place in Sperryville, VA


My goal one day is to have my Dukes of Hazzard collection on display in the real world, not just the virtual online world.  A museum of sorts.  Well not really "of sorts"...my goal is to open a Dukes of Hazzard museum.  When thinking of a Dukes of Hazzard museum, the original Cooter's Place in Sperryville, VA always comes to mind. 
 
Cooter's Place was awesome. The Nashville and Gatlinburg locations are great, but the original in Virginia will always hold a special place in the hearts of many Dukes fans.  I first met Ben Cooter Jones and James Best there. Many other fans have met most of the cast members there for the first time. This place truly was a Dukes Collector's dream. 





Just look at those great items.  I have to get my hands on one of those Boss Hogg 3D posters.  






Cooter's Place had it all. 



The gold 1/18 General Lee is one of the rarest Dukes items.  I was fortunate enough to get my hands on two when they were first released.  Instead of putting my second on eBay, I contacted Cooter's Place to see if they needed one.  Miss Alma, Ben's wife, told me they were looking for one and would love to have it.  She even invited me down to present it to Ben.  He sure was surprised.  Since then, I have stayed close with Ben and Miss Alma.  I still can't believe I'm friends with and actual Duke of Hazzard.  


The original museum closed a few years ago.  They moved to the new locations in Gatlinburg and Nashville.  They are great museums, but not exactly within driving distance for me here in southwestern Pennsylvania.  Last year, to great fanfare, Ben and Alma had a Dukes reunion in Sperryville called Hazzard Homecoming.  It was such a success that they are doing it again in 2012.  I can't wait. 

No comments:

Post a Comment