Monday, October 30, 2017

Halloween 2017: White Walker from Game of Thrones

It's time once again for my yearly post that has nearly nothing to do with the Dukes of Hazzard:  My Halloween costume!  (I'll squeeze a bit of Dukes in here somehow.)



Winter is here.  This year I went as one of those devilish snow creatures that want to take over all of Westeros (that's their objective right?  Seven seasons in and we still don't know what they're up to.)  I didn't have the bald head to do the Night King, so I went with an earlier season version and I think I nailed it.  


I knew right away that if I was going to do a White Walker, I had to do it right and get blue contacts.  I haven't worn contacts in over 12 years so I had to get used to them.  The one exception was when I was Lion-O in 2009.  I wore red cat eyes.  A few months later I revived the costume for New York Comic Con and wore the contacts all day with no prep time.  That was a mistake.  I had a horrible headache the next day.  This year I was determined to get used to the blue ice eyes so I wore them every day for the last two weeks.  It worked.  Saturday night when we went out, I had no issues.  They really set the costume apart.  


To my knowledge, there is no officially licensed White Walker costume.  I had to make mine from scratch.  I searched around the Internet and landed on this body suit from Morphsuits.com.  It's a new design for 2017 called The Rake.  Apparently the Rake is a popular creation on the horror site Spooky Pasta and this is the first licensed product from that website.  As soon as I saw it I knew it was perfect for my White Walker with a few modifications.  


I couldn't find anything that resembled ice for the spear so I went with this foam dagger from the Halloween store.  I did the trick.


The additions like the skirt thing and the arm and leg coverings were fake leather.  My mom did an excellent job crafting them into the Walker's garments.  She even added some really cool embellishments like the belt buckle and the little dangles.


The make up was all Natalie.  We used a few different kinds of Halloween makeup from Spirit Halloween.  It worked out great.


Here's an animation of the transformation.  Natalie did an magnificent job.


I tucked the Morphsuit head inside and the coloring of the makeup and Morphsuit matched perfectly.  They only real change we made to The Rake suit was shortening the signature fingers to normal size.  I would imagine the creators of Morphsuits had a plan in the back of their minds that The Rake could be used as an unofficial White Walker costume, if not, then I just figured it out and they should run with it.  I haven't seen anybody else use this suit for a White Walker yet, but I guarantee we'll see it soon.  Just to reiterate, Morphsuits.com's The Rake costume makes a great base for a Game of Thrones White Walker costume.  You heard it here first, folks.


Some other costumes I ran into are Tyler and Trenton as an old man and a nerd.  These boys introduced me to Morphsuits two years ago.


Chad and Renee went as Tommy Pickles and Chuckie from Rugrats.  The five hairs on Chad's head really sold it.


I was hoping to see some David S. Pumpkins!  I loved the skit last year on SNL and the animated David S. Pumpkins Halloween Special was just perfect.  I saw two different Halloweeners dressed as the Tom Hanks character.  This fellow was alone, but another guy had two sexy skeletons with him that really put his over the top.  Any questions?  I didn't get a picture though.  My fingers were covered in the Morphsuit so I didn't get as many pictures as normal.  Shame.


A pair of costumes that I just loved are these two.  Earl Sinclair and Grandma Eythl from Jim Henson's Dinosaurs!  They even carried around a cardboard Baby Sinclair.  They said they made the whole costumes including the masks.  Wow.  I love that this picture was accidentally taken in front of a Sinclair Gasoline sign.   Earl Sinclair was named after the Sinclair Oil Corporation. 


Though I didn't get may pictures of other costumes I did snag this pic of a Jessica Simpson Daisy Duke costume.  This is, of course, the outfit Jessica wore in the Boots music video before she strips down to a bikini and washes the Gen'ral.  I managed to sneak some Dukes of Hazzard into this blog post!  Seems I run into a Daisy Duke costume every year.  The universe always seems to put one around me at Halloween.


Halloween was a success!  I tried to stay in character and not smile in any of the pictures taken of me.

Supernatural ice creatures from north of the Wall certainly don't smile.  Photoblombing Rugrats do though.


Another great costume!  I'm really proud of this one.  Some people said it was my best yet.  Happy Halloween everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment