Monday, June 28, 2021

I Turn 40 Today! Natalie Threw Me an Amazing Dukes of Hazzard Birthday Party!

Today, June 28, is my 40th birthday.  Earlier this week, Natalie threw me a Dukes themed party and it was just perfect.  Let's take a look at this amazing day.


When and where?  That might be the most perfect response to a text, ever.  I knew my Dukes of Hazzard themed party had to be over the top and only one thing would make it complete.  I needed to have the General Lee at my party.  I asked our buddy Jim Dahlman, who's General Lee I had the honor of driving at Cooter's, if he would bring his beautiful Gen'ral to the party and he texted me back: "When and where?" almost immediately.  What a great friend.  His car made the party.  I didn't tell anyone about the General being there and I loved seeing everyone's face as they walked in.  Jim, you are the man!
 

The General Lee made the party, but Natalie made the party happen.  She hosted and worked so hard to make it perfect.  It was the best day.  




The decorations were amazing.  Inside and out there was Dukes everywhere.  I brought a few Dukes items and Natalie bought me some great Dukes presents.  She bought some great '01' balloons from Cooter's Place when we were there with Tom Wopat last month.  


How cool is this Dukes blanket that Natalie bought me?  It welcomed everyone as they walked into the Dukes party.  


These pillows are incredible!


Check out this cake!  The Ertl Dukes diecasts really put it over the top.  


We also got Dukes themed cookies from our favorite local bakery, Mary's Corner Cafe and Bakery, in Brownsville.  The 01s were orange flavor, the 40s were lemon, and the checkered flags were almond.  They were so good!


The drinks were served at The Boars Nest.  We used Cooter's wooden Boars Nest sign.  Cooter's Place has the greatest Dukes items.  


I also used a wooden Hazzard Police sign from Cooter's (that I may have helped design) to make sure no one blocked the driveway for Jim to drive his General Lee in.  I attached it to this parking sign we had in the shed and I really like how it turned out.  I don't think I'll be taking it off.  It just looks so good.  


I took so many pictures with Jim's General Lee.  I was in heaven.  All week the weather report said it was going to rain, and early on it was cloudy and iffy, but I hoped and prayed for good weather and it turned out to be perfect.  The sun came out mid-day and it was mid-70s all day.  




Just Larry and the General Lee.


Orange and checkered flags were everywhere.  It was perfect. 


It's incredibly hard to buy me Dukes presents.  Jess made a great effort and bought me a deck of the Dukes of Hazzard Card Game from the Makers of UNO.  I have quite a few decks but always love getting more because it's a fun game to play.  Thanks Jess!


Though we were mostly outside, I had a plan in case the weather didn't cooperate.  I had the Dukes playing the entire party.  I think everyone stopped by and watched at least a little bit of everyone's favorite television show.  
 





Everyone had a blast.  I was so honored that so many of my family and friends showed up to celebrate the big 4-0 with me.  


Having the drone there was very important to me.  I put a lot of thought into the big group shot before the party.  I wanted a picture of everyone at the party and didn't want anyone taking the picture and not being in it.  I love the end result of the big group shot and also took a few more drone pics.  Joey was loving the drone.  


That is the face of pure joy.  I was one happy Dukes of Hazzard fanatic being completely surrounded by the Dukes and my family and friends.  


Mom said she's never been in a General Lee and I had to change that.  I'm so grateful that Jim accommodated us so much with the pictures of his beloved General Lee.  


Dad looks great in the backseat of the General Lee!



Jeffrey said he unfortunately couldn't make it to the party because of a family engagement.  I was bummed but understood.  Then he surprised me and showed up.  What a great surprise!  He even wore the shirt I got him for his 40th birthday in March.  The shirt has a line from an episode of our famed irreverent sketch comedy show Franks and Beans.  We all love Jeff!


Franks and Beans and Dukes of Hazzard!


A highlight of the day that was full of highlights was when Jim, Ryan, Jeff and I took the General Lee for a ride.  We came across Rosco P. Coltrane and left him eating out dust.  I love it, I love it!


Jeff took pics as we flew past the law.  We didn't get in trouble.  But it did beat all we ever saw. 


I drove the Gen'ral to my house.  I had to have a picture of it in my driveway.  Only one other time in my life has the Duke Boys' big orange Charger been parked in my driveway.  When I was a tiny Dukes lover, my babysitter, Stacy, knew a pizza delivery guy who delivered pizzas using a General Lee.  This was the mid 80s when Chargers were still somewhat common.  I have no idea how accurate the replica was and no clue who the driver was.  But it was something I never forgot.  I've been dreaming about recreating that memory for a long time.  Craig was checking out the driver's side view while I was taking pictures.  My dog, Camelot also loved checking out the General.
  

This is exactly how I remember the pizza guy's General Lee.  In reality his replica was probably very off and homemade.  It probably looked more like the Pre-Cooter General Lee from the 2005 movie.  Jim's perfect General Lee looks great in my driveway.  What a sight!


Oh man.  This is really making me want my own General Lee.  Like there hasn't been a day in my life that I haven't wanted my own General Lee.  


Look how much nicer the weather was compared to the earlier pictures.  The prayers worked.  It was just perfect.  


I can't thank Jim enough for bringing his General Lee to my Dukes of Hazzard themed 40th birthday party.  This picture was taken after my wardrobe change.  There were water balloons and the new retro Super Soakers at the party so I had to get into my swim trunks.  Rocky shorts, Hulkamania shirt, and the General Lee.  That's peak Larry right there.  Jim's General Lee was the perfect addition to the party. Again, thank you brother.  


Natalie made it all happen.  Thank you so much for a perfect party.  Here's to the next 40 Dukes of Hazzard lovin' years!

No comments:

Post a Comment