Monday, July 2, 2012

My DK General Lee bicycle from Wal-Mart

My birthday was a few days ago.  It was a joyous day filled with celebrations and festivities galore.  And, just as I hoped, I got the DK General Lee BMX bike from Wal-Mart.


Instead of getting one off the shelf, we decided to get it from walmart.com.  I wanted to make sure I could keep the box. 


It only cost $0.97 to ship.  For this big of a box, that was a huge bragain.  It got here two days after we ordered it too.  Good job Wally World.


The outside of the box has a picture of the bike on it.  I went with the 20" over the 24" simply because it was cheaper.  The price actually got "rolled back" last week from $149 to $129.  They must have known my birthday was coming.

Here are the contents of the box. 


I'm glad I went online to get it, because it came wrapped up very nicely and is in perfect shape.  The couple of stores I called only had the floor models and they might have had a scuff  here or there. 


It was a lot of fun unwrapping a new Dukes of Hazzard item that is so big.  Peeling this paper off to expose new shiny letters was real nice.  I'm pretty sure this bike is not licensed by WB and therefore the font isn't spot on.  They got close though.  The "G" looks closer to the movie letters than the series. 


Th 01 is more different that the "General Lee" letters.  They kept it blue to match the words instead of black like it should be.  It works for the bike though. 


Here are all the parts pre-assemlby.  The parts that would have been more difficult to assemble, like the chain and brakes, were already put together.  The entire back wheel was ready to go. 


It didn't take me as long as I thought it would.  It is also bigger than I thought it would be.  It's hard to gauge the size when it is on a rack at eye level in Wal-Mart.  Down the road I might pick up the 24" and actually ride it around. 


 All the ones I saw in the store had this display tag either ripped off or damaged.   that's another reason I'm glad I ordered online.



The DK logo matched the rest of the Dukes theme.


I really like the stars added around the "General Lee."





There is an 01 on the seat.  Nice touch.







The paperwork that came with the bike included the tag that hangs on the rack in front of the bike in store.  That is cool because I considered grabbing the tag from Wal-Mart.  Now I don't have to be a thief. 




I'm glad Wal-Mart released this bike.  I know the original from a few years ago was quite popular in the BMX world and came with a pretty big price tag.  Hopefully this one isn't too expensive and kids and BMXers alike make it a product Wal-Mart keeps on the shelf.  If this sells well, maybe we'll see more Dukes products there. 

I don't plan on riding this one, or taking the display material off.  If you want to ride one, your local Mart should have one.  If you are crazy like me and want to keep in mint, head online.  Is anyone else crazy like me?  

8 comments:

  1. Still got the bike i just found one in the trash

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you still have the manual if so can you photo copy and send to me???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. email me at lafre@atlanticbb.net

      Delete
    2. Hey, I just picked one of these up myself. Used obviously and no manual. Any chance you can send me a pdf version as well? unclejasper5@gmail.com

      Delete