Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The Dukes of Hazzard Fun Tunnel


There are a few items out there that are so rare, I almost don't think I will have a chance to add them to the collection.  Until last week, the Dukes of Hazzard Fun Tunnel was one of those items.  Back in March of this year, I posted about the Fun Tunnel blowing my mind.  Now I have it in my collection. Again, my mind is blown.

I got this item from new friend of the site, and new message board member ShadleySCM.  And I couldn't be happier.



I always saw these types of tents in toy catalogs in the '80s.  They were usually on top of a kid's bed, but I never knew anyone who had one.  The kid on the box seems to love his while reading his comic. I love that 'Ol Flash made it on the box.


A lot of Dukes items share the same art and designs on their boxes.  This design seems unique to the Fun Tunnel.  The General Lee is roaring away, and the Duke cousins are hanging out.


Features of the indoor/outdoor play tent include the abilities easy storage, lightweight, and movable.

The tent was made by Outdoor Venture Corp.  A quick google search came up with surprising results. From the '70s to the early '80s the company made recreational tents, but in 1984 they started making tents for the U.S. Military and are now one of the biggest suppliers.  They also made some of the first automotive airbags in the country.  This tent had to be released in the "heyday" of Dukes merchandise, around 1981, so shortly after making this bad boy, they went on quite a different path. Cool stuff.  They are still based in Stearns, KY.


The graphics on my tent are bright and vibrant.  I'm not sure Shadley has ever used this thing.


I could say something like it's rare for these tents to come with all their pieces like the "T" shaped inserts, but I have no idea because I've never actually seen one.  It's that rare.  From reading the instructions, all the pieces are accounted for.  


Speaking of the instructions, they are on the back of the box.  You could buy a complete replacement frame for $3.50.  I wonder how much this thing originally retailed for.  


The tent itself is bigger than I expected.  I was thinking about putting it together, but didn't have a chance to do it.  One of these days when everything is more organized, I will.  

Adding this piece to my collection is very fulfilling.  It's one of those things I never thought I would get.  It could be one of the rarest things I have.  Thank you very much Shadley.  I know you are a Dukes fan from way back, and I hope you enjoy meeting all of us that share a passion for all things Dukes of Hazzard.  

5 comments:

  1. To be honest, I used it a lot as a kid, but I guess my parents made sure it always made it safely back in it's box. I'm glad that a piece of my childhood can be a key part in Larry's collection :)
    -ShadleySCM

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like it's in really good shape. The box looks great, even! This is quite a find.

    And I still smirk at the phrase "fun tunnel".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember having a Dukes of Hazzard item like this, but I feel like mine was a "garage" design. And I'm 99% sure the pipes were black and the joiners were yellow. Have you seen that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i also have the fun tunnel ,currious on the value? mine excellent condition box also perfect

    ReplyDelete
  5. natashaleedy@yahoo.com is email to above poset

    ReplyDelete